What Is Garbage Enzyme?

ge_intro

Garbage Enzyme is a multi-purpose natural cleanser and fertilizer. It also has many other usages. I would strongly recommend that you try making your own Garbage Enzyme and explore its various uses. You will be amazed by its wonderful benefits.

What exactly is Garbage Enzyme?

It is a concentrated liquid, a product of a 3-month fermentation process made from kitchen waste, black sugar and water. Kitchen waste meaning only fruits and vegetables. No meat or anything else. An example would be fruit peels, left over fruits and vegetables such as carrots, cucumber etc.

How did Garbage Enzyme come about?

Garbage Enzyme is the work of Dr Rosukon Poompanvong, an alternative health-care practitioner from Thailand. She does researching on alternative medicine and has also created her own natural products. She has also worked closely with farmers in various countries in organic farming without the use of artificial fertilizers. And she has been recognized for her various outstanding achievements.

Garbage Enzyme is very popular in Malaysia. A couple of my aunties and cousins are making and using Garbage Enzyme. It was introduced into Malaysia by Dr Joean Oon, who learned it from Dr Rosukon Poompanvong.

What is the recipe?

1) 3 kg Kitchen Waste (Left-over fruits or fruit peels, and vegetables.)
2) 1 kg Black Sugar (It is commonly used to brew with chinese herbs and sometimes for baking cakes. You can purchase Black Sugar from stores or supermarkets that sell dried goods.)
3) 10 litres Water
Reduce or increase the amounts proportionately according to your desire.

How does Garbage Enzyme smell like?

Are you wondering if it smells like a rubbish dump? I would say that the Garbage Enzyme I did had a very strong acidic orange with a light alcoholic smell. My loved one said it almost smelled like overnight rubbish but had not crossed the line yet and that it also had a surprisingly fresh smell to it.

My cousin and aunt loved the smell of their Garbage Enzyme and think it smelled fruity and practically used it for everything. They knew from past experiences that it has got to do with the kind of kitchen waste that they were using. If you put in mainly fruit waste, it will result in an acidic fruity smell. Sometimes strong, sometimes light. But the smell might not be as pleasant if your Garbage Enzyme were to include more vegetables.

What is Garbage Enzyme used for?

1. Household cleansing solution
Instead of detergents, you can use this natural cleanser for mopping floors, effectively cleaning up stubborn stains in the kitchen, cleaning the dishes, cleaning cars, removing foul smells and washing the toilet.

2. Keeping insects away
Garbage Enzyme is quite effective in keeping away insects such as ants, cockroaches, spiders and lizards. Ever since I used Garbage Enzyme as my floor cleanser, I seldom see cockroaches and lizards in the kitchen. My aunt buried the residues of her Garbage Enzyme in her pots of plant and effectively drove away the army of ants. You will however, need to continue using Garbage Enzyme because once you stop, the insects will come back again.

You might be thinking, ‘hey, wait a minute. One of the ingredients used is black sugar and won’t that attract more insects instead?’ No it doesn’t. The sugar is actually broken down during the fermentation process.

3. Purifying the air
My cousin Sally said that it’s good for purifying the air, keeping the air fresh and healthy. She also noticed that the number of houseflies in her house has cut down ever since she started using Garbage Enzyme. What she did was, she poured a small amount of garbage enzyme that has been diluted with water into a plastic container, and left it in a high corner in her kitchen.

4. As compost for plants and vegetables

When using the Garbage Enzyme liquid to water the plant, take care to dilute it with water as much as possible as it is usually very strong for the plant. If it is too strong, the plants might die as a result.

The residues (that is the fruit peels, vegetables etc) of the Garbage Enzyme can be dried and ‘blend’ into pieces and stored up. They can be added to the soil as fertilizer when needed. Don’t put too much as it might be too strong for your plant. Try adding a little first.

5. As natural pesticide
As it repels insects, it naturally keeps farms free from insects and infections. And farmers will not have to suffer skin diseases or any other diseases brought about by the harmful pesticides.

6. Prevents blockage in drainpipes
It is mentioned on the internet that Garbage Enzyme helps prevent blockage in drainpipes, releasing residues accumulated in the pipe of basins or toilet bowls. And Garbage Enzyme that flows underground and eventually into the river helps to break down harmful chemicals in the river and sea.

It is also said that during the fermentation of Garbage Enzyme, ozone gas is released and in turn helps to slow down Global Warming and at the same time help to heal the environment. There are people who has a different opinion regarding this.

Anyway, Garbage Enzyme is a good way to recycle our fresh kitchen waste. Its usage and benefits has been proven effective by those who have tried.

You can read more at:

How much do we need to dilute the Garbage Enzyme before use?

You will need to dilute the Garbage Enzyme with water before using it for the above purposes.

A general guide to the dilution ratio:
a) Enzyme for fertilizing – 1:100 / 500 / 1000
b) Enzyme for insecticide – 1:1000
c) Enzyme for pesticide – 1:100
d) Enzyme as air fresheners – Dilute 200x
e) Enzyme as plant hormones to get more flowers and fruits – Dilute 500x

Below are some pictures of my cousin Sally’s organic plants, fertilized using Garbage Enzyme. Look how beautiful they are. I have also included a picture of the Garbage Enzyme she made, which is about 2 months into its fermentation process.

{ 26 comments… add one }

• Rajesh Nare March 15, 2013, 6:34 pm

Dear Mam,
    We are working on garbage enzymes as a academic project work for final year Diploma in chemical engineering students. As you know the overall process requires 3 months time duration for completion. Because of our academic schedule we are time having limited time as a constraint. So please can you suggest us an method so that we can complete the fermentation process in less than three months time.
    I hope you will help us as early as possible.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rajesh D. Nare,
    Lecturer, Dept Of Chemical Engg.
    Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University.
    India.

• Lee Cheng March 15, 2013, 7:02 pm

Hi Rajesh, you can refer to this post http://happyhomemaker88.com/2009/09/18/shortcut-to-reduce-the-fermentation-time-of-your-fruit-cleaning-enzyme/

It mentioned that you can add yeast to speed up the fermentation. A couple of other blogs also mentioned the using of yeast. So you might want to explore on that.

• Http://Www.Podclass.Com/Roofchard74 August 16, 2013, 10:37 am

I simply couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I extremely loved the standard information an individual provide to your visitors? Is going to be back steadily to inspect new posts

• Gülsüm Arıkan November 11, 2013, 8:26 pm

Is there industrial enterprise in this particular?

• JennGwinn March 17, 2014, 12:18 pm

It is nice sharing. I was making my own garbage enzyme. However, our water is undergone desalination system, so it is slightly salty. May I know that will it affect the enzyme reaction? Thank you so much.

• Lee Cheng March 17, 2014, 12:38 pm

Hi Jenn, desalination system seems to remove salt and minerals and I am not sure how can this make the water slightly salty? Anyway, sugar is more of a critical factor as natural yeast requires sugar for fermentation into vinegar eventually. So I don’t think desalinated water will be an issue.

• prachi April 18, 2014, 2:10 am

Really amazed by reading this. Would surely try and use this.

• Pranshu May 5, 2014, 9:13 pm

Hi,
    Do you know some place where I can buy Garbage enzyme? I couldn’t find a single seller on internet

• Lee Cheng May 10, 2014, 11:03 pm

Hi Pranshu, no I don’t know of any people selling Garbage enzyme either.

• exen May 11, 2014, 4:01 pm

I don’t understand why do u need to buy when u can make it your own… for free..

• weyTyng May 21, 2014, 1:59 pm

Hi,
    I have followed the steps and completed 3 months. How do I know the enzyme that I made is successful? Any specific look & smell that can help me determine this?

Thanks,
    WeyTyng

• Lee Cheng May 26, 2014, 11:23 am

Hi WeyTyng, at the end of 3 months, there is a strong acidic sour smell. sometimes I feel they smell alcoholic too. The colour of the liquid would usually be light brown to dark brown due to the brown sugar.

• Mohd noor June 29, 2014, 6:21 pm

Hello Lee Cheng,

Abt the explosion of the container, I wonder whether is it possible to create a small hole at the bottle cap so that gas can escape thru it and prevent the explosion?

• Lee Cheng July 7, 2014, 9:22 pm

Hi Noor, if you create small holes, undesirable insects may get in, so I don’t advise this.

• atisha July 3, 2014, 10:33 pm

The ants in my house don’t seem to mind the garbage enzyme. I sprayed undiluted enzyme on them, they’ll remain unmoved for a while and left thereafter. I tasted the enzyme yes it’s sour as expected. Not really effective to get rid of grease, detergent is better. I’m just wondering if the garbage enzyme has been over rated.

• Lee Cheng July 7, 2014, 9:18 pm

Hi Atisha, Garbage Enzyme works for me in getting rid of stubborn stains and grease on my stainless wash basin. What I did was to pour the garbage enzyme onto the surface of the wash basin and left it there for hours before I wash it off and my basin is very clean. I also use Garbage Enzyme to mop my kitchen floor which can be greasy sometimes due to the cooking and after mopping, it is not greasy. This is just my personal experience. :)

• Connie July 7, 2014, 4:45 am

I’ve made this twice now and there is no gas buildup to release. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? Thx!

• Lee Cheng July 7, 2014, 9:12 pm

Hi Connie, perhaps the lid is not as air-tight?

• Ken September 25, 2014, 11:02 pm

Hi Lee Cheng, I’m wondering the same thing. I made 4 bottles. 2 bottles release so much gas. Another 2 changed colour, but not much gas at all. Is it because of not enough brown sugar or something? Would it still turn out alright after 3 months?

• sachin July 22, 2014, 3:07 pm

what is the method of applying garbage enzyme in farm….
    i know how to dilute ….. jus having problem how ot applying in agriculture

• Lee Cheng July 22, 2014, 4:37 pm

Hi Sachin, Garbage Enzyme is liken to a liquid fertilizer. I came across a farmer who uses diluted garbage enzyme to fertilize his vegetables. If you want to try, perhaps you can do a small experiment on a box of vegetables first and see it works for you.

• sachin July 22, 2014, 9:20 pm

hi Lee Cheng….thanks alot…

• Joyan August 30, 2014, 3:38 pm

How does the garbage enzyme benefit the environment?If it cuts down on the amount of waste produced by reusing the fruit peels what happens to the remaining fruit peels when the enzyme is complete?When the enzyme is complete if u throw away the fruit peels that had fermented wont it still produce methane from decomposition to harm the environment?

• K Nandakumaran October 6, 2014, 9:01 pm

Yes sir I made it
    will be available for use on 30th
    Oct.2014.Can I use this for hydroponics cultivation.The same ratio will work out.Have any experience review. Reply me soon
    With regards.
    K Nandakumaran

• Lee Cheng October 6, 2014, 10:46 pm

Hi K, I have no experience on using this for hydroponics cultivation. So sorry. Perhaps other readers who have experience in this can advise over here.

• esther October 25, 2014, 11:58 pm

I have made 2 pails of garbage enzyme for almost three months.
    1) For 1 of them, a light brown translucent jelly-like layer has formed at the top. Is this normal? What do I do with it?
    2) For the other pail, a thick white layer has formed at the top and I observed some little worms have appeared too. What could have caused this? Is my garbage enzyme still usable?
    Appreciate your advice pls. Thank you.